Friday, August 24, 2012

I'm Long Winded

I would probably make a terrible professional blogger because I can't seem to keep things short and sweet.  I go off on tangents, get too descriptive, and I write like my brain thinks--bordering on just plain crazy.  Probably explains why I've always been drawn to writing novels.  I like making sure I can see just what I imagine as I read my writing, I like to plant those critical tiny details that make a story more real or inviting.

I can't think of an assignment or a contest I've entered where I haven't run up against the word limit.  I always have to cut things down.  And I'm glad I do because I can decide which details are most important and which ones after a 12th look are really superfulous.  Blogging requires learning to exercise self restraint.

This, however, does not translate well to blogging.  I've been reading up on how to make mine better, more interesting,  and how to improve overall and the one thing that's glaring in my eager little face is I write far too much.  Which is quite ironic given that I'm not big on talking.  I can spill thousands of words onto a page without trying, but when it comes to conversation, I'm usually the one listening.  I rather like this contradiction about myself.

So, in honor of Friday or my very merry unbirthday, I'm going to keep this one short.  Ha!  Take that contradiction!  I shall learn to temper you yet!  Probably not, but at least I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment