Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Good Look in the Mirror

Women have this weird, slightly creepy habit of staring at themselves in the mirror for extended periods of time, categorizing their faults, finding new wrinkles that have appeared since their last stare session, and generally focusing on their flaws to assess what can be improved and what they need to learn to like or live with.  As a very atypical woman, even I do it.  I think it's ingrained in our genetic code.  I'm quite sure that men find this practice a little bit insane... and I don't disagree.  But it happens anyway.  Go ahead, judge me.

It's not like I can magically turn back the clock to be 22 again and wrinkle free.  I currently find plastic surgery too extreme to be a viable option, and yet I find myself staring in that mirror contemplating what can be improved upon, what I might be stressing over that's not really worth the effort, and what is a permanent change that I need to learn to accept.  What the hell is going on with my skin?  Why do I look like a teenager going through puberty this week?  Is that a gray hair?  Ugh.  With my hair in front of my shoulders I resemble a cocker spaniel.  I really need a haircut.  And so on.

I also take inventory of my personality this way.  Was I too rude to someone at work?  Should I consider changing the way I interact with another person in an attempt to get better results?  Am I really doing all the things I think I am to accomplish my goals or am I slacking and not being honest with myself?  Do I really understand the personality of an individual or am I missing an important piece that's hindering my interactions with them?

Perhaps it's my introverted nature and need for self evaluation.  Perhaps it's my competitive drive wanting to be the best "me" I can be.  It's often not a fun and affirming process.  I often find that it's not the other person that needs to adapt, but I could be doing more to make the relationship more rewarding for both sides, more effective in a professional capacity, etc. Sometimes I decide it's worth the effort to work on myself, sometimes it's not.

It's never kind to one's ego to admit you're in need of improvement.  But unlike wrinkles or the fact that your left ear is a little bit higher than your right, making your sunglasses always appear crooked on your face, you can always improve your interactions with others... if you're willing to admit you might not be doing it right. 
Admittedly, it's much easier and more convenient to place blame on others.  Especially if you're already accomplished in life, you've enjoyed a position of power for any length of time, etc.  History tells you that you've done a lot right and you've earned your position of having others ask you what to do.  But if you look at a broader history of the world, arrogance is usually a contributing factor to the downfall of leaders, civilizations, empires, governments, etc. 

I'll be staring in the mirror tonight.  Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment